Finally OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 has been launched and you will be glad to know that you can install it using Virtualbox. Yes, you can install Mac OS X Mountain Lion With Windows 7 on Virtualbox.
In this complete step by step guide, I am going to explain the same. So let’s have a look at it. But before let’s have a look at the computer requirements before proceeding with the guide.
Recommended - Download APK Files from Android Market to PC
To install Mac OS X Mountain Lion on Windows 7, you require to have Windows 7 (lol it’s obvious) on your system. As you know that the Mac OS X is 64 bit operating system, thus you also need to have 64 bit version of Windows 7.
Talking about the hardware requirements, your computer must have 4 GB RAM at least and dual core processor for speed purposes. Also you need to have 10 GB free space on your hard disk. You can check your system stats by going to the properties of My Computer.
- Virtualbox: You can get it free for Windows version by following this link.
- Mountain Lion bootable DVD: The paid copy of Mountain OS X installer does not work with the Virtualbox. So you will have to use booted DVD copies of the same. You can download the pirated copy from any torrent website. Make sure that you have fast internet connection as the file if of 4.5 GB and can take lots of time to download completely.
Recommended - Download Torrents with IDM (Fast Speed)
- Hackboot 1 / Hackboot 2: After downloading the bootable DVD, it can’t be installed as it. You need to have Olarila’s Hackboot CD to start the process. to start the Mountain Lion installer, you need to have Hackboot 1 and to start the Mountain Lion itself, you need to have Hackboot 2. You can download the Hackboot 1 from here and Hackboot 2 from this link.
- Multibeast: After the initial installation, you need to set up the Mountain Lion virtual machine. For this you need to register here.
Steps to Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion with Windows 7 on Virtualbox
So now you are ready to install Mac OS X Mountain Lion with Windows 7 on Virtualbox. Follow this step by step guide.
- First of all download the Virtualbox from the official site. You can download it from this link. If you want to see the USB devices on your Mac Mountain Loin from the Virtual box, then don’t forget to install the Vitualbox Extension Pack. You can download the same here.
- It’s time to create the virtual machine. This is pretty easy to do. Just open your Virtualbox and select the New. Give your virtual machine a name and the choose the ‘Mac OS X Server (64-bit)’ from the OS type.
- During the creation process you are asked to assign the RAM to your virtual machine. You can assign as much RAM memory you want to. But I recommend you to assign at least 2 GB RAM for better speed. Of course, you can assign more.
- You will also be opted to select the hard drive type that you want to create for your Virtualbox. You can select any from VDI, VDMK, or VHD types.
- Now your virtual machine is completely ready but few settings are required to make it to work. You can see the name of your virtual machine (the name that you assigned) in the left side of start up page of Virtualbox. Once opened, move to the settings option and uncheck the ‘Enable EFI’ from there.
- After attempting this step, go to the Storage settings option. Try to find the CD icon labeled ’Empty’ there. Select the Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file and choose the Hackboot 1 file from there, that you downloaded earlier.
Recommended - Find Clipboard History in Windows
Install Mac OS X Lion
- Finally it’ time to install the Mac OS X lion. Start your virtual machine and start page will come up with Hackboot 1. On the right side bottom, you can find CD icon there. Click this icon and click the ‘Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file’. From the pop up menu that appears there select the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion bootable DVD.
- Refresh the page and CD will get loaded properly. Now press the Next button and you will enter into the installation process of Mac OS X Mountain Loin.
- Now you will be opted to select the destination folder to install the Mac OS X Loin. To proceed with this step, you need to select the Disk Utility that you can select from the Utilities menu.
- Now there you can see the Virtualbox hard disk in the options. Select it as destination folder to install Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Click on the installation button and installation process will start immediately. It will take some time to install. So you need to be patient about it. You can track the installation process in the progress bar.
Boot It Up
- Again click on the CD icon on the right bottom of Virtualbox screen. Click on select file option and this time select the Hackboot 2, that you have downloaded already. Now reboot the virtual machine and after getting restarted, you can see the Hackboot 2 option there. Click the Enter and you will be there on the Mac OS X Mountain Lion desktop.
Fix The Bugs
There may be some bugs in this Mac OS running on Windows 7 on Virtuabox. So it’s time to use Multibeast, that you have downloaded already.
To run it, go to the System Preferences in Mac OS X and roll over to Security section there. From there deselect the ”Gatekeeper” option and you will be able to run Multibeast. Choose the options in the Multibeast installations, shown in the screenshot below.
Recommended - Download Best RocketDock Themes 2013
Also you need to delete the ‘Kext’ file that causes errors. These files are hidden by default. So you need to un hide them first. To do so, go to the File -> Preferences .
Check ‘Hard disks’ under the Sidebar section there. So the hidden files will be displayed on the sidebar. Select the ‘/System/Library/Extensions’ and from there delete the file named ’AppleGraphicsControl.kext’.
Now you can unload the CD Hackboot1. Reboot the machine and you will be able to run Mac OS X Mountain Lion and that also along with the audio feature.
The process is complete. Running the Mac OS X Mountain With Windows 7 on Virtualbox is really a good practice and interesting thing to do. The process to do this is little bit lengthy and requires you to be patient.
Recommended - Download Vimeo Video without Software
Along with the setup guide on how to install Mac OS X Mountain Lion with Windows 7 on Virtualbox, I have also listed the process to remove some audio related bugs from it.
Hope you like it. If you are facing any problem with any step of this installation guide and are unable to move on, then please do let us know about it by dropping your comments in the comment section below.